The WWAMI Institute for Simulation in Healthcare (WISH) -- Training the future of healthcare
Emergent healthcare requires more than just technical skill: it takes years of knowledge, practice, steady nerves and the ability to make quick decisions under pressure. That’s why WISH (the WWAMI Institute for Simulation in Healthcare) strives to create lifelike situations and learning environments for students, physicians and nurses. We invite you to make a gift today to support the future of healthcare education.
Practice Makes Perfect
Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S., surpassed only by heart disease and cancer. Medical errors kill 200,000 Americans and cost our country nearly $20 billion each year, and some estimates suggest that preventable mistakes may cost the U.S. economy up to $1 trillion annually.
WISH offers a solution to this problem by allowing individuals to experience challenging, error-prone situations in a realistic, risk-free environment, which permits early recognition and correction of procedures and behaviors.
Like the flight simulators that pilots use to perfect their skills, simulation-based training allows medical students and healthcare professionals to hone lifesaving techniques prior to working with patients. Participants are exposed to highly realistic computer-aided instruction, virtual environments and procedural simulation.
As part of the UW School of Medicine’s focus on outstanding education and leading-edge technology, WISH provides risk-free practice to thousands of local and international physicians, nurses and students throughout the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho) region. WISH seeks to develop the talents of the next generation of healthcare providers by providing healthcare education, improving patient safety and building professional and communication skills.
How You Can Help
With your support, WISH can fulfill its vision to revolutionize healthcare education through simulation-based training. Our priorities support leadership, programs, facilities and community outreach.
- SIMULATION RESOURCES. With over 83,000 learner hours last year, across 30 departments and programs, demand is rising for access to simulation based-education across the WWAMI region. Your gift will help us fund new simulators, task trainers and state-of-the-art equipment.
- TEAM TRAINING. WISH is one of only a handful of recognized training centers for TeamSTEPPS and Team Training education to enhance performance and patient safety. Your support helps us continue to train students and professionals in the importance of team-based healthcare and the reduction of communication-based medical errors.
- DEVELOPMENT OF NEW PROJECTS. UW and the Pacific Northwest are home to some of the country’s best and brightest minds. Your donation helps us invest in the development of new research, products, technology and projects to bring these ideas to life!
Ways to give
- Make a one-time gift by clicking on the Donate button above.
- Make a pledge to be paid in installments that can be spread over five years by visiting our online giving page and choosing the recurring gift option.
Thank you for supporting the future of healthcare education! If you have any questions about how you can support WISH, please contact Kelly Oswald, Senior Director at UW Medicine Advancement, at 206.685.5412 or [email protected]